Just got one of these
The Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 is a chunky (but lightweight) SLR style bridge camera featuring the 1″ type 20MP not-quite-small-not-quite-large sensor used on cameras like the Sony RX100, RX10 and various premium compacts and fitted with a 9mm-146mm (25-400mm equivalent in full frame language) F2.8 – F4 power zoom.
It has an excellent large EVF and a fully articulated type rear screen. The features rival its micro 4/3 interchangeable lens cameras like the G80 and GH4. It has 4K video and high frame rate slomo capable 1020p video.
Basically, for most people with general purpose rather than specialist needs, this is an all in one camera that is all you need.
And did I mention? With the £100 rebate, it is now available (September 2018) for £428, rather less than its launch price of £750. Somewhat of a bargain, I would suggest if this type of camera meets your needs.
I have just bought one. I’ve never used a long-zoom bridge cameras before so I’m going to document my experiences with it – watch out for a series of posts all about living with this camera.
[My first afternoon with it was a revelation – this is not one of those cheapo superzoom type bridge cameras with sluggish performance, poor ergonomics and a tiny, noisy sensor. It handles like a DSLR and is lightening fast. First impressions of the raw files is that they look a lot like DSLR files.]
Index to FZ1000 articles
- Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 diary: FZ1000 on safari – a very overdue conclusion… the good, the bad and the ugly
- Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 diary: Image quality @400mm wide open vs Fuji X-E1 (APS-C)
- Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 diary: Image quality @400mm wide open vs G7
- Taking the Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 for a walk in the park (Beckenham Place Park)
- Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 handling part 2: shooting at 300mm (equivalent) vs G7 plus 45-150mm
- Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 handling test
- Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 set up – Part 2
- Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 – first stab at set up
- Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 Day 1 – First impressions
- Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 1″ type sensor superzoom bridge camera now £428