The Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 is a very sophisticated camera, as sophisticated as many DSLRs. Although it has a fully auto mode, I’m ignoring this. Setting it up properly can be daunting but it helps if you are used to the Lumix menu options. Set up is very personal and down to how you like to work. There is no real right and wrong if your set up works for you.
I come from the unsophisticated cameras of the film era, so I like to keep my digital camera set up as simple as I can (without completely ignoring the technological advances of the last 40 years!).
File type and quality
RAW + JPEG Fine (during the initial familiarising phase – I will likely use raw only in due course)
4:3 (this is a crop of the 3:2 sensor and a reduction to 17.5MP. Never mind. I prefer the squarer format for composing and I would mostly have cropped the edged in post anyway)
Single shot mode
AF-S (single press, not continous).
Single area, centre point (old fashioned – one day I’ll learn about these multi point AF setups, predictive and tracking focus etc).
Half press of shutter or back button (AE Lock customised to activate AF).
I have the viewfinder set with the main display on a black strip under the viewing area rather than floating on top. I wish EVFs were more customisable, such that you could turn on and off every individual icon and display. I find cluttered displays distracting but the clean display options remove too much).
C1 position on the mode dial
I have my settings saved to the C1 custom set position on the main mode dial.
I’ll make a second set up post about all the complicated menu options and customisable function buttons next.
Index to FZ1000 articles
- Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 diary: Image quality @400mm wide open vs Fuji X-E1 (APS-C)
- Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 diary: Image quality @400mm wide open vs G7
- Taking the Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 for a walk in the park (Beckenham Place Park)
- Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 handling part 2: shooting at 300mm (equivalent) vs G7 plus 45-150mm
- Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 handling test
- Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 set up – Part 2
- Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 – first stab at set up
- Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 Day 1 – First impressions
- Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 1″ type sensor superzoom bridge camera now £428